HMP Swansea, often called Cox’s Farm by locals after a former governor, is a category B/C men’s prison in Swansea, West Glamorgan. Opened in 1861, and holding both male and female inmates until 1922, the prison has capacity to hold 445 male inmates.
A wing holds 178 inmates. B wing , the first night and induction unit, holds 53. C wing holds 42 inmates. D and F wing hold 166, and E wing, the segregation unit, can hold 5 men.
Three offenders gained access to the roof of the building after a smoking ban in April 2016. They were first spotted at 09:50, and descended seven hours later at 17:00. Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service were at the scene with specialist negotiators.
To view the latest HMIP inspection report, click here.
Visiting hours are 13:45 – 15:15 Mon-Tue, 09:30 – 10:45, 13:45 – 14:45, & 15:15 – 16:45 Wed-Fri, and 13:45 – 14:45 & 15:15 – 16:15 Sat-Sun.